What is Cloud Migration Used For?
Cloud migration is the process of moving applications, data and other IT resources from an organization’s on-premises infrastructure to a cloud computing environment. This environment could be a public cloud, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure, or a private cloud, which is a dedicated environment for a single organization.
This complicated process goes much smoother with the help of an expert third-party resource.
GET CONNECTED: BluWave Knows the Exact-Fit Service Provider You Need
Let’s look at 10 different reasons your business might be ready to get help with cloud migration.
Cloud Migration Use Cases
Before embarking on a cloud migration project, organizations need to develop a business case that outlines the costs, benefits and risks of the migration. This can help organizations make an informed decision about whether to proceed with the migration and how to prioritize their migration efforts.
Here are some use cases for which cloud migration might make sense for a company:
- Relocating an organization’s data, applications, and workloads to a cloud infrastructure: The most fundamental use case for cloud migration is to move an organization’s IT assets to a cloud infrastructure. This can reduce IT costs, improve performance and scalability and increase flexibility and agility.
- One-time massive data migration: Organizations may need to migrate large amounts of data to the cloud as part of a one-time project, such as a data center consolidation or a merger and acquisition. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, but it can help organizations simplify their IT infrastructure and reduce costs in the long term.
- Continuous on-premises data migration: Some organizations may choose to migrate their data to the cloud gradually over time, rather than all at once. This can help avoid disruptions to their operations and minimize the risk of data loss or corruption.
- Continuous streaming data ingestion: Organizations that generate large amounts of data in real-time, such as social media companies or financial institutions, may need to continuously ingest that data into the cloud for processing and analysis. This can require specialized tools and infrastructure to handle the volume and velocity of the data.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity: Cloud migration can help organizations create robust disaster recovery and business continuity plans by enabling them to replicate their data and applications across multiple cloud regions or providers. In the event of an outage or disaster, the organization can quickly switch over to the backup environment in the cloud.
- DevOps and testing: This process can also help streamline development and testing processes by providing on-demand access to cloud-based infrastructure and resources. This can help teams quickly spin up test environments, automate testing processes and reduce the time to market for new products and features.
- High-performance computing: Organizations can use cloud migration to run high-performance computing (HPC) workloads that require significant compute resources. By leveraging the elastic compute capabilities of the cloud, businesses can scale up and down their HPC environments as needed to meet changing demand.
- Big data and analytics: Cloud migration can be leverage the scalability and processing power of the cloud to run big data and analytics workloads. This can help organizations quickly process and analyze large datasets, gain insights from their data and make better-informed business decisions.
- Internet of Things (IoT): Cloud migration can enable companies to manage the large amounts of data generated by IoT devices. By leveraging cloud-based analytics and processing tools, organizations can quickly ingest, process, and analyze IoT data to derive insights and improve their operations.
- Digital transformation: By moving to the cloud, organizations can adopt new cloud-based services and technologies, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence and server-less computing, to innovate and drive business growth.
GET STARTED: Cloud Migration Expert Resources on Standby
The invite-only Business Builders’ Network is full of IT professionals who specialize in helping private equity firms, portfolio companies and private and public companies with cloud migration.
With so much at stake, many companies are turning to expertly matched third-party resources to walk them through this process. Our research and operations team works hand-in-hand with the top IT strategy firms in industries including healthcare, manufacturing, technology and more.
When you’re ready to connect with a niche-specific provider to explore and enhance your cloud migration strategy, we’ll be ready to make tailor-made introductions within a single business day.